Re-Introduction of Affordable Footwear Act : Coalition Hails
The Affordable Footwear Act is common sense legislation that would provide tax relief for hardworking American families who unwittingly pay upwards of 40 percent of the cost of a shoe at the cash register to cover the import duty, also known as the shoe tax, on shoes made outside the United States . Since 99 percent of the shoes U.S. consumers purchase each year are produced outside the United States , there is no way for hardworking American families to avoid this tax.
“The re-introduction of the Affordable Footwear Act is a great step forward in growing our economy,” said Kevin M. Burke, President and CEO of the American Apparel & Footwear Association. “This legislation will bring direct relief to families, workers, manufacturers, and businesses at the right time. I applaud Senators Cantwell and Ensign for their commitment to strengthening America ’s economy and I look forward to continuing our work with them to ensure this bipartisan bill is swiftly passed.”
“FDRA is pleased with the re-introduction of the Affordable Footwear Act and pledges strong support in favor of its passage,” stated Matt Priest, President of the Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America. “This legislation would end what is nothing more than a discriminatory tax on lower and middle-income families and provide economic relief at a time when it’s needed most. These duties are obsolete, and it is high time they are abolished. I wish to thank Senators Cantwell and Ensign for their efforts on behalf of American families and consumers. FDRA looks forward to working with all of the bill’s co-sponsors to secure a speedy enactment.”
"The National Retail Federation urges Congress to pass the Affordable Footwear Act as soon as possible," NRF President and CEO Tracy Mullin said. "This legislation would finally eliminate an outmoded, hidden and regressive tax that needlessly drives up the cost of the majority of shoes and other footwear sold in the United States . Substantially lowering their cost would provide some much-needed relief for American families struggling through the current economic crisis."
“I applaud Senators Ensign and Cantwell for re-introducing the Affordable Footwear Act, important legislation to eliminate regressive shoe tariffs paid for by American consumers,” said Sandy Kennedy, President of the Retail Industry Leaders Association. “Now, more than ever, consumers need relief from a tariff that serves no purpose today except to raise the cost of a basic necessity. We look forward to working with Congress to help advance this legislation.”
The Affordable Footwear Act would eliminate about $800 million in duties on children’s and low-priced shoes. At a time when it is necessary to restore consumer confidence and rebuild the economy, repealing the shoe tax will help pass as much as $2 billion in savings to U.S. consumers – savings that hardworking American families will see every time they purchase a pair of shoes for their children or themselves.
In 2008, the U.S. government collected over $1.7 billion dollars in duties on imported shoes, far more than any other duty collected on any other single imported good. The added cost to cover the duties directly resulted in consumers paying almost $5 billion dollars more than they needed to at the store for their shoes. Undeniably, shoes are a life necessity and the hidden, regressive shoe tax is an additional burden on hardworking American families at a time when they can least afford it.
Given the current economic strain that threatens further U.S. job losses, quick passage of the Affordable Footwear Act would protect and create jobs in the U.S. footwear industry. Footwear brands and retailers would be able to stave off further downsizing through increased sales revenues while passing along savings to consumers as the duty costs are removed from the price of footwear at the retail level. In addition, because the legislation does not affect the few remaining footwear items still manufactured in the United States , and even provides additional protections for those items, the Affordable Footwear Act would protect domestic footwear manufacturing jobs.
In the 110th Congress, the bipartisan Affordable Footwear Act was co-sponsored by over one-third of the U.S. House of Representatives and 15 senators, including 21 Members of the Ways and Means Committee and six Members of the Finance Committee.
To view a complete list of co-sponsors and learn more about the Affordable Footwear Act visit www.EndTheShoeTax.org.
The Affordable Footwear Initiative is a coalition dedicated to eliminating the hidden, regressive and high import tariffs on lower- to moderately-priced footwear and children’s shoes. Coalition members include the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA), Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA), Outdoor Industry Association (OIA), National Retail Federation (NRF) and many of the individual member companies represented by these associations. Visit the AAFA-sponsored coalition website, www.EndTheShoeTax.org for more information.
The American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) is the national trade association representing apparel, footwear and other sewn products companies, and their suppliers, which compete in the global market. AAFA's mission is to promote and enhance its members' competitiveness, productivity and profitability in the global market by minimizing regulatory, commercial, political, and trade restraints.
Spread The Word
- Legendary SwimShow Makes a Splash With 2013 Expansion Plans
- NXT Winter Fashion Show
- WIN FREE SHOES FOR A YEAR!
- Back to Mule School
- New Year, New Style: How to Change Your Style This Year
- Up to 50-70% off Island Girl Fashion Summer SALE
- Why wristbands are great for your everyday style
- Sharon Silfen’s e-commerce accessory boutique, SadeeSays.com, announces Cece Feinberg Public Relations as Agency of Record
- Middle East Islamic & Arabian fashion is attracting more than 25 million Muslims women’s around the globe
- OEM UHF Gen 2 Tag for widespread RFID Applications
- Major brands to attend Mudpie AW 12/13 Trend Seminar at LCF – 9 June.
- WORLD’S #1 SWIMWEAR TRADE SHOW RETURNS TO MIAMI BEACH THIS SUMMER WITH MORE DAZZLING DESIGNERS AND MORE SIZZLING STYLES THAN EVER!
- About Chicken Feather Fiber and its Potential Applications
- New Active and Print and Pattern Trend books released for Autumn/Winter 12-13 – available now...
- Time of Renaissance Costumes Fashion
- Online Shopping of Renaissance Clothing
- Platform Ankle Boots
- 15th Century Medieval Clothing
- Matching Custom Labels, Zipper Pulls and Hang Tags
- Latest Children’s Fashion Trends Fall Winter 2010
- Evolution of Fashion
- Stylish Choices In Kitten Heels That Make Style Comfortable With Minimal Lift
- Look glamorous in a scintillating AKA dress
- How to choose the right pro skate shoes
- Stylish Choices In Therapeutic Shoes That Will Keep Your Orthotic Issues At Bay
- Stylish Options In Boy Short Panties That Will Serve Multiple Purposes And Won't Break The Bank
- Carry your business bags in style
- Show your passion for the game in a soccer jersey
- Show Your Love Of Soccer And Holland With Holland Soccer Jerseys!
- Affordable vintage soccer jersey tops
- Trendy wedding handbags
- Beautiful Looks In Plus Size Teddies That Will Flatter Your Beautiful Figure
- Your Guide to Mother Bride Dresses Brands and Styles
- Wonderful Looks In Corsets Plus Size That Will Serve Functional Or Fun Purposes
- Bigger is Not Better With a Wristlet
- Men Love to Wear Vans Shoes
- Best Picks in Ballet Shoes
- An ivory bridal purse is elegant and classy
- Wonderful and Versatile Ballet Slippers That You Can Wear Again and Again
- With A Retro Watch, Look Ahead While Looking Back
- Stylish Choices For Every Woman In A Brown Peep Toe
- Lovely Choices In Plus Size Intimate Apparel That Will Be Your Staple For Sleepwear Choices During Any Season
- Kick It Up A Notch With Puma Shoes
- How to Look Fabulous in Formal Bridesmaid Dresses
- Get the Best Formal Mother of the Groom Dresses at Really Great Bargains
- Choosing The Types of Champagne Bridesmaid Dresses
- Approaching Your Big Day in Elegance with Awe Inspiring Bridesmaid Necklaces
- Stylish Summer Shoes for Shoe Lovers
- Wedding handbags make the biggest impression in your wedding ceremony
- Take your style to a new level with a pendant watch
- Mens Designer Suits Are Always The Right Choice
- Maternity Clothes Can Be Flattering and Comfortable All At Once
- Miraclebody Jeans Launches a Search for “Women Who Shape our Lives”
- Sophisticated, Skimpy, and Sexy Are Just A Few Words To Describe These String Bikinis!
- Amazing Styles In Business Suits That Will Give You The Confidence To Impress Your Clients!
- These Cavalli Jeans Will Show Off Your Stylish and Fashion Forward Sensibilities!
- Women's Ed Hardy - Love Kills Slowly
- These Mens Carhartt Jackets Will Withstand Continued Wear And Abuse Without Ever Letting You Down!
- Charm Your Valentine With 18 Gold Bracelets
- Beautiful Designs in Sleek Leather Driving Gloves Will Keep Your Hands Warm and Dry
- These Bare Traps Shoes Will Carry You Through Multiple Seasons With Effortless Style!
- A Luxurious Leather Bag For Any Season Is A Wise Investment!
- Become a life-long fan with womens patent leather shoes
- Waterproof shoes-ever thought of it?
- How to Ride in Style with Mens Western Belts
- Creating Candy Shoes
- Stylish Rain Hats That Keep You Dry
- Beautiful Choices in Swoonworthy Chiffon Dresses
- Technically Designed Gloves That Will Keep You Warm No Matter Your Activity!
- Cheap Sunglasses Make Cents
- A BCBG Max Azria Dress that Make You Stand Out from the Rest
- Nothing is Cooler than a Tank Dress
- The Best Evening Dress For You
- Shopping for Evening Sandals
- Guide to Men's Sunglasses
- Neckwear for Men: The Perfect Tie
- Challenges facing the fashion blogosphere
- Wool Dress for the Winter Months
- Always Looking Good in a Casual Dress
- Snuggle Up with the Latest in Womens Winter Boots
- Sexy And Stylish White Leather Boots
- Hot Looks In Basketball Shoes Will Help You Outperform Your Opponent!
- Cowboy Boots That Will Boldly Show Off Your Love Of The Wild West!
- Bringing Sexy Back With These Fab Corsets
- Why You Should Own a Pair of Gold Pumps
- Popular styles in a tote
- Hot trends in Women's fashion sneakers
- Top picks in Leather slippers
- Popular Styles In Classic Men's Dress Shoes
- How To Find The Best Navy Leather Shoes
- Top picks in open toe high heel shoes
- Winter Must Have: Men's Dress Boot
- Top Trends in Dolce and Gabbana Sunglasses for Men and Women
- Classic Fedoras for Classically Chivalrous Looks!
- Have Fun In Oakley Sun Glasses
- Dos and Don'ts for Men's Black Leather Belts
- Mens Fashion - How New Hot Accessories are Giving a Modern Appeal